Office chairs or office seating are pieces of furniture used at a desk or within an office environment. They either have 4 traditional legs or they have a central leg and several feet with wheels. Office chairs are designed to be ergonomic as they are often used for long periods of time. An ergonomic chair design is essential for posture. Office chairs are often adjustable to ensure comfort and easy access to the workspace.
Types of Office Chairs:
, also known as computer chairs, are swivel chairs which are used at a desk.
What are office chairs made from?
- Fabric chairs are popular in offices as they are durable and comfortable. Some chairs have mesh inserts for lumbar support and breathability.
- Leather or faux leather is popular in executive chairs. It is long-lasting and very comfortable. Leather also has a more luxurious appearance.
- Plastic and vinyl chairs are most often used in manufacturing and working environments. They are easy to wipe clean.
Do office chairs adjust?
- Seat height - some office chairs have a lever to adjust the seat height as the chairs are used by people of all different heights. Your feet must be flat on the floor with their legs bent at the appropriate angle.
- Seat depth – in general, the backrest should allow the user to sit at the back of the chair without knees pressing into the edge of a seat
- Lumbar support - this provides support to the back. This is often in the form of an inflatable cushion in the backrest.
- Backrest tilt – this reclining allows you to adjust the angle of the backrest.
- Armrests height - you can adjust the height of the armrests for a comfortable 90° arm bend.